Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Soft Shell Crab

On 2/24/2018 2:08 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:13:31 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Of course I have. I'm not sure Gary has. Around here, a lowcountry
>>> boil is Frogmore Stew.

>> I've heard of it but it's not a local dish here in the barely
>> mid-south.

You're nowhere near the mid-south. That's a tri-state area comprised
of west TN, northeast Mississppi, and eastern Arkansas.
>> OB food: Eating other stuff today but for tomorrow, I'll be
>> having the nice bbq sandwiches (pulled pork with the vinegar
>> dressing) aka eastern NC barbeque. Also on the soft white-bread
>> buns will be an almost equal amount of good cole slaw. It's
>> tradition here. One of my best meals along with salty chips or
>> fries.
>>
>> YUM! :-D
>>
>> Maybe I'll take a blurry pic if anyone cares to see that.

> You should try it. It has made itself known in the mainstream.
> Janet US

The first time I heard about Frogmore Stew was right after my parents
moved down here and their mailing address was "Frogmore". They're not
the ones who told me. It was written up in Food & Wine magazine. One
of my brothers had a subscription. The first time I visited my folks
after they moved here they took me to a restaurant called 'Steamer'.
The tables have buckets in the middle for discarding the remnants of the
lowcountry boil. I've posted about Frogmore Stew before. In fact, I
think I may have mentioned it when Dave first posted about going on this
kayak trip to Tybee Island.

Jill