Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Soft Shell Crab

On 2/24/2018 8:22 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> The temps in the lowcountry are unseasonably warm for this time of year.

> lol..."the lowcounty." You always say that...just like Dsi1
> always saying "this rock."
> That said though, nothing wrong with pride in your area.

LOL sand isn't really a factor. For me, it has nothing to do with
pride. The term "lowcountry" is how the area is described by news
stations out of and including Savannah, GA. (The Memphis area is
described by their local news stations as the "mid-south".)

> Anyway, my 'country' is just as low as yours Jill. Pretty much
> all of the east coast from Jersey down is low sand country. Temps
> are unseasonably warm every where in the southeast this Feb.
> Certainly is here as February is usually the coldest month and
> most snow. Not this year and I sure hope this trend doesn't
> continue through the spring and summer.

Kinda my point. It doesn't bode well for summer.

>> Must be great for kayaking, though! It's been about 20 degrees
>> higher than usual for the last week. (This does not bode well for
>> summer.) In the summer the heat can be very oppressive. You know that
>> saying, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."? I'm here to tell you,
>> it's *both*. LOL

> It *IS* the combination of both but even worse is the 3rd factor
> added to the mix. Early mornings start out in the 80's here last
> several years (summer months) and also very high humidity. The
> 3rd factor during early mornings is the lack of any wind. It's
> dead calm when I go out to work at 5-6AM and it's so horrible.
> When I open my door to go out to work, it feels like I'm walking
> into a very steamy bathroom after someone just took a long hot
> shower. Just walking maybe 50 steps to my van and I'm already
> sweating. This is the case most summer mornings too, not just
> occasionally.

That's where things here are different. It's often quite breezy on the
islands (Dave is on Tybee Island in Georgia at the moment). In the
summer it's so very hot and sticky the breeze doesn't help much. When
you step outside it still feels like you've been slapped in the face
with a hot wet towel.

> If we work outside, these conditions last for hours until about
> 9-10 before a breeze finally kicks up. Not so bad once the wind
> starts to blow. Sad nonsense to work in though.

I tend to avoid doing even basic yard work in the height of summer. As
you indicated, even in the wee hours of the morning it's stifling.

Jill