Matthew L. Martin

Karen wrote:

> It was an interesting article but (here comes one of my pet peeves) I am
> continually amazed that whenever someone wants to give a room a "50's
> look" or "retro look" they inevitably install a black and white
> checkered floor. As someone who is well versed in 40's/50's design I
> can guarantee there were far more choices than that! In fact, I recall
> seeing just a couple "black and white" (usually not a solid color but
> with a marbleized look. See:
> http://www.flexcofloors.com/rubber_retro.asp

Right you are!

I distinctly remember removing a kitchen floor in my parents home in the
1960s. It was 9" tiles, red, white and grey, though not in a strict
checkerboard pattern. IIRC, the red and white were a checkerboard with
an offset grey boarder (red an grey against the walls, solid grey band
boarder and a red and grey field).

My parents were going to put down sheet goods until they found a solid
maple floor under the tarpaper underlayment.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game