Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Do Men Hate Using Coupons?

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 13:15:05 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
>>> steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
>>> exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
>>> commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
>>> though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
>>> plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
>>> actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
>>> 300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.

>> certainly they should be able to take the full weight of a person
>> applied with force. You're a fool if you think there only purpose is
>> for balance. They are valuable to catch/support a person who is
>> slipping. You are such a putz.
>>

>Sure, properly mounted bars are best. But a suction cup bar can steady
>you so you don't fall and need to put your weight onto it. One fall can
>break bones and put you in the hospital but anything to grab on can
>reduce the odds considererably, hundreds of time a year.
>
>Lay an 8' long narrow board on the floor. Now walk across the length of
>it. Easy.
>
>Now raise the board 2' off the floor. Same board, but not so easy. But,
>with something, anything, to hold on to you have confidence and keep
>your balance and walk it. Same idea getting into the shower. Prevent
>the slip and you don't need to hang on it.

Exactly, that's what handrails on stairs are for... to steady oneself,
not for hanging from... yet still commercial grab bars can easily
support a 500 pounder because even during a slip most of one's weight
is still on the tub floor.. and grab bars do nothing if not grabbed,
then they're just for hanging a towel.
I have commercial SS grab bars in my tub and I'd bet professional
wrestlers tugging with all their might couldn't make them let loose.
There are four 5/16"SS lag bolts 1 1/2" into the stud on each end...
they'd need to be able to pull the entire wall down and that ain't
happening... especially not in this house, every stick of lumber is
from trees that were growing on this property and it's all full size,
2 X 4s are a full 2" X 4".