Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_14_] Ophelia[_14_] is offline

Default Dinner tonight (1/15/2018) Salmon Patties

"Hank Rogers" wrote in message news
jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/16/2018 10:12 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-01-16 10:05 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not always looking to save money, so I buy it in (IIRC) 2 pound
>>> bags.
>>> That's a few months' worth of rice for us.
>>>

>> Probably 6 months for us.

> Maybe because I ate a lot of rice as a child I'm just not a big fan of
> rice. It's definitely not something I stock up on, although it does
> store well. Just checked the pantry, I have a half a pound of rice from
> when I made the red beans & rice. I think I brought it with me 10 years
> ago. That's one thing rice is good for, long term storage.
>
> Jill

I like rice, but no more than 2 times a week. I never had rice much when
growing up, and I never had to eat it in prison camps. One uncle was a
prisoner in Korea, and he wanted nothing to do with rice or fish. I bet
they gave him poor watery rice with fish heads for flavoring.

I use a brand of jasmine rice from Thailand, (imperial dragon I think).
It's the best I have been able to find at walmart, as there are not many
other stores here, just a couple of mom and pop outfits.

I get it in the 5 Lb size, about once or twice a year. Rice is indeed
very good for long storage, better than corn, wheat, etc. But I would be
suspect of ten year old product. Rice has such a mild taste, you might
not notice when it has gone "off" a tad.
==

Rice goes off??? Ahh I take it you don't mean dried rice??