Julie Bove

"Alan_B" > wrote in message

> Anything else in it other than it was a cheese soup with dumplings? I have
> a mess of recipes, several thousand for soups...Possibly with more
> ingredient I might find it.

As I recall, the soup appeared to be dumplings in a cheese soup. I found a
recipe on the Internet for something called Kartoffel Boller. It is cheese
(cheddar) dumplings made with potatoes, butter, flour, eggs, salt and
pepper. The recipe says to roll them into little balls, drop in boiling
water and poach for 10 minutes. You are then to drain and serve with gravy
or put in soup.

I made these tonight, using whole wheat flour. I also dropped them like you
would Spaetzle, into the water. Too much trouble making the balls! As I
feared, much of the cheese and butter melted out into the water. I cooked
the dumplings, then added them to a non-starchy vegetable soup in chicken
broth. It was very good, but not as rich as the soup in the restaurant.

I think the restaurant simply dropped the dumplings into some hot broth.
The cheese and butter then melted out, giving the appearance of a cheese
soup.

The dumplings were still yummy, despite the fact that much of them melted
out and didn't make it into my soup. I will definitely be trying this
again, next time dropping the dumplings directly into my soup. But I also
think next time I will just use a plain chicken or vegetable broth. I will
then serve it in small portions accompanied by a salad. The dumplings are
very rich! I had soup and salad tonight, but also gave sandwiches and raw
veggies to Angela and my husband. It was just too much food!