Gini

In article >, Karen says...

:

>>>Article on mid-century kitchens with picture of turquoise cabinets and
>>>appliances:
>>>http://www.worldandi.com/subscribers....asp?num=24009
>>>
>>>I had relative who owned a small town appliance store in the 1960s.
>>>They had kitchen with powder blue cabinets and appliances - a color
>>>that I have never seen again.

>> Thanks for posting that link, Vox. Interesting, and a nice bit of
>> nostalgia attached.
>>
>> I've never seen or heard of the powder blue color either. Could it have
>> been custom?
>>
>> When I was growing up, we lived in a home that was probably built and
>> outfitted in the late forties. That kitchen had heavy steel cabinets and
>> all-electric appliances which were all colored "jadite" green, and lots
>> of chrome. I always thought it was rather pretty.
>>

>It was an interesting article but (here comes one of my pet peeves) I am
>continually amazed that whenever someone wants to give a room a "50's
>look" or "retro look" they inevitably install a black and white
>checkered floor. As someone who is well versed in 40's/50's design I
>can guarantee there were far more choices than that! In fact, I recall
>seeing just a couple "black and white" (usually not a solid color but
>with a marbleized look. See:
>http://www.flexcofloors.com/rubber_retro.asp
>and click on "color palette") checkered floors in all of the magazines
>and design books I have from that era and even then the tiles were
>usually 9" squared, not the 12" squared that is prevalent today. It's
>amazing how different a floor looks when done in 9" squares as opposed
>to 12" squares. I truly wonder why people just default to that black
>and white checkered pattern?!

===
I fondly remember my Aunt Blanche's confetti linoleum kitchen floor--and her
black telephone with no dial. Still, a house we bought the 80s had the 12" black
and white tiles (and marbled red countertops, of course). I also know of someone
who has an old top load dishwasher, integrated in his white metal cabinets,
still in use in his house (which was/is a Craftsman style house purchased from
Sears and pretty much untouched since construction. Enjoy your quest, Karen.
Sounds like a blast.
===