Old 23-11-2017, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Boiling or simmering raw sausage links

On 11/22/2017 7:29 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 4:54:57 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I will poke holes in the sausage. I want the casings on. But my question is, at a low simmer, how long should I cook the sausage?

At a low simmer I would cook them about 30 minutes.

Also, when the mix is made and put in the fridge to be brought out each day I put it in a bowl and add some rice in the middle, on top, and put a paper towel over it and microwave it for 3 minutes or so. So I don't think I'll have to cook the sausage to death. So, in your opinion, what is a safe time for cooking the raw sausage? Every day when the bean and veggie mix is brought out I add however much sausage I want to the individual plate, I don't put it in all at once. I gauge what I eat. My uncle used to call me "the measuring man."

Usually, when I heat up something along that line I will do also heat it
up for about 3 minutes or so but at a reduced power. Maybe 60% power.

Thanks for your response and any to come after this. Yes, I think I'll be using Italian sweet sausage or regular pork, uncooked of course, and they will be thick juicy ones, not the small links.

TJ

If you feel like it, after those sausages have simmered until done,
throw them in a hot skillet for just a few minutes for a bit of
browning. Will improve the taste and crisp up the skin.

Yep, Italian sausage in the casing (tasty for sure) definitely benefits
from a bit of browning.

Jill