Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Plating Food (WAS: What do you eat with salmon?)

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 17:44:34 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, says...
>
>> I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
>> don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
>> whatever. I'm cooking for myself. No need to garnish the plate.

> Most of the year, I have fresh herbs in the garden. I use them during
>cooking, chopped in raw salads, and as an edible plate garnish (parsley
>on rice, mint on new potatoes, chopped chives in and on an omelette
>etc), even if I'm only cooking for one. With fish or avocado or anything
>else I fancy a squeeze of lemon juice on, I put a wedge of lemon on
>each plate. We always have lemons in the house.
>
> I like the taste and want the food to look good on the plate.
>
> Janet UK

We like our food to look appetizing too. And we always have fresh
fruit and vegetables... right now I have lemons, limes, and oranges in
the fridge, two kinds of apples as well. I may not always have fresh
herbs during winter but there are always celery leaves and bits of
various lettuce leaves, Ieven have a large bok choy that can offer
lovely garnishing... can always carve a bit of tomato into a flower...
even a lowly potato can be pared into a strip and formed into a rose,
so can carrot parings.. a bit of carrot can be carved into all sorts
of garnishes only limited by ones imagination. Anyone who fancies
thamself a cook has to own a set of ganishing tools. I will always
remember Martin Yan demonstarting how to make sunflowers from celery
and banana peels.