Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Christmas Baking

On 2017-11-15 10:40 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:15:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> No time to bake tomorrow. I have to get packed and prepare a eulogy,
>> find old pictures. I have an early morning flight and get back here
>> around 5 am Monday.

> Sorry to hear you have a funeral to go to. I'm thinking it was someone
> close to you, as you are doing the eulogy.

He was my oldest and dearest friend. We go back 57 years. His family was
my second family. His sister is like a sister to me. We met when we were
ten, moved to different towns and different directions, but always kept
in touch and visited each other.

> Anyway, have a nice time on the west coast. I'm guessing you'll be
> catching up with lots of old friends and relatives.

Not too many to catch up with will be the sister, but there will me one
friend of his from high school who I knew well from visits. The sister
has arranged for me to me picked up at the airport and I can stay with
them and get a ride to the ceremony with them. It is on Saltspring
Island and if I had had to go by public transportation or rent a car and
deal with the ferry I doubt I would manage. It will be a quick trip. I
catch a plane from Hamilton at 7 tomorrow morning and will be back 5 am
Monday morning. Cripes last minute air fare is expensive.

> When you get back, I'll have to bug you about your light fruitcake
> recipe. I think if I left out the raisins I'd like it quite a bit. (I
> hate raisins.)

That could work. I omit the nuts and the pitted dates but I add chopped
pitted prunes.

Moms Fruit Cake

3 cups Seedless white raisins
2 cups red glazed cherries
2 cups green glazed cherries
2 cups candied pineapple
2 cups pitted dates (optional)
1 cup coarsely ground pecans (optional)
5 ½ cups All purpose flour
½ tsp Baking Soda
¾ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. mace
2 cups soft butter
2 cups granulated sugar
8 eggs
½ pint sour cream
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 tsp. Grated lemon rind
3 Tbsp. Lemon juice

- Blend butter and sugar and add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream,
vanilla, lemon juice and granted rind.

- Place the fruits in a large bowl, sift dry ingredients over the fruit
and stir together. Add liquid mixture to the dry and stir to mix thoroughly.

- Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little more
than half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.

- Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.

Allow loaves to cool. Sprinkle a little brandy, rum or sherry over each
loaf, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and let them sit for at
least a few days before eating. If not using them within two weeks
they should be frozen.