Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default Lumpy bumpy oranges

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 14:33:57 -0700, Casa de los peregrinos
> wrote:

>On 11/7/2017 2:10 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 13:27:11 -0700, Casa de los peregrinos
>> > wrote:

>>> We have a major problem here, now being addressed at long last, with
>>> salt cedar (Tamarisk) along the banks of the Rio Grande.
>>>
>>> Sure it's great at stabilizing and halting erosion, but they are so
>>> water thirsty that the losses are intolerable.
>>>
>>> snip

>>> We also have something we locally call "acequias" which indeed are just
>>> small canals used for irrigation.
>>>
>>> In ABQ proper there are many urban neighborhoods where people still farm
>>> small plots and rely on these and the ditch rider (Mayordomo) is still a
>>> respected and important figure in the community.
>>>
>>> It's all very ancient and very cool.
>>>
>>> Oh, and it works!
>>>
>>> But that spring brush hogging is a thankless job.
>>>
>>> A great read on the matter is:
>>>
>>> http://www.unmpress.com/books.php?ID=1161

>>> snip

>> My son-in-law is working on the exact same project in NM.
>> Probably the same as you referenced. I don't mean physically, he is
>> working with the entities you mention as a researcher and
>> environmental oversight. My daughter sent me a book that discusses
>> the acequias and the land ownership around them and how much water
>> those trees steal each day. Fascinating
>> Janet US
>>

>Small world, eh?
>
>Tamarisk has been an absolute disaster since it was introduced here in
>the arid West and despite its pretty pink blossoms it has to go.
>
>I was tempted to mention "The Milagro Beanfield War" too...plenty of
>acequia action in that book and series.
>
>There's a PBS series on natural ecosystems I've been watching lately
>that really shows the proper interactions of native species of all kinds:
>
>http://www.clemson.edu/public/expeditions/
>
>The Trans Pecos episodes are compelling for showing the remnant sky
>islands specieation in what are now extremely geographically isolated
>ecosystems.
>
>Also the Catalina Island episodes were spot-on.
>
>I'd love to see this guy explore our "Malpais" (bad country) lava fields
>as well as southern Idaho's volcanic deserts.

I'll watch for that program.
You would be fascinated to visit our Craters of the Moon National
Park.
https://www.nps.gov/crmo/index.htm
When you get to that part of the state, dynamite is necessary for
construction. It's been awhile since I've been to Craters of the
Moon. You don't want to go in the dead of summer. It is just too
darn hot. There are also lava tube caves for exploration over that
way. If you go to Craters of the Moon be sure to wear some good
walking shoes or boots. It would be easy to turn an ankle as the area
isn't all nice pathways like Yellowstone for instance. You get to
walk on sharp hardened lava.
I just picked up
> http://www.unmpress.com/books.php?ID=1161

at Amazon and had it sent to my Kindle. Thanks for the recommend.
Janet US