Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default Lumpy bumpy oranges

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 10:22:41 -0700, Casa de los peregrinos
> wrote:

>On 11/7/2017 10:10 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 7:06:11 AM UTC-10, Casa de los peregrinos wrote:
>>>
>>> Imagine how much Colorado River water had to be sacrificed to make that
>>> lumpy thang!

>> OK, I will. Hopefully, that water will get recycled back into the river. Those growers look so cheerful. They hope to usher in a new age of low acid fruit.
>>

>It never comes back, in fact we're in all kinds of violation of our
>agreement with Mejico to re-water the Sea of Cortez delta.
>
>https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ute-319-water/
>
>Thanks to a landmark agreement between the United States and Mexico, the
>parched Colorado River Delta will get a rejuvenating shot of water this
>spring for one of the first times in five decades, just in time for
>World Water Day on March 22.
>
>RELATED CONTENT
>Watch a Wall of Water Race Up a River
>Watch Kids Cross a Raging River to Get to School
>Top 10 Things to Do in Montana
>On March 23, 2014, the gates of Morelos Dam on the Arizona-Mexico border
>will be lifted to allow a "pulse flow" of water into the final stretch
>of the Colorado River. Officials and scientists hope the water will help
>restore a landscape that has long been arid but that once supported a
>rich diversity of life.
>
>"The pulse flow is about mimicking the way the Colorado River flowed in
>the springtime, thanks to snowmelt from the Rocky Mountains, before all
>the dams were built," says Sandra Postel, director of the Global Water
>Policy Project and a National Geographic Freshwater Fellow. By the early
>1960s, dams on the Colorado, such as Glen Canyon and the Hoover Dam, had
>diverted so much water that there was precious little flow entering the
>lower Colorado.
>
>Water that did make it to Morelos Dam was diverted into Mexico's
>Mexicali Valley for crop irrigation, leaving little for the wildlife or
>indigenous people living in the delta.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-bPl71BIo
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlsxtOytZ4
>
>These are enviro-things we really CAN fix, and should too.
>
>I promise you it will not be long before Arizona and Nevada start
>talking to Mejico about a desalinated water pipeline to replace our
>dying river.
>
>I have to think bargaining is better when the chief user shows good
>faith first.
>
>My .02c.

Keeping trees off of the river bank and streams saves a huge amount of
water. Obviously we can't remove all trees from the banks of
waterways but there are a lot of trash trees allowed to sprout and
grow because landowners are lazy. There is work being done in some
south western states to address this problem. Here, in my city,
workers are cutting down mature trees and saplings that have been
allowed to grow on the banks of canals. For us, canals are a purpose
built water delivery system for farmers out in the county. Too much
water was lost to trees that served no purpose.
Janet US