Richard Periut

Scott wrote:
> In article >,
> Richard Periut > wrote:
>

>>OK, now that we have had a scientific polemic here about what steam is;
>>are you going to join the crusade of making sure the millions upon
>>millions of English speaking people around the glove never use steam
>>inappropriately.

> Don't be silly. The issue was as regards a specific reference: the
> fallacious definition of espresso as "a strong coffee brewed by forcing
> steam under pressure through darkly roasted, powdered coffee beans." In
> this instance, "steam" has the clear connotation of referring to water
> raised above the boiling point. The definition is simply wrong. Water in
> its gaseous phase is not forced through ground coffee.
>

>>Mineral water is what I and most people refer also to as spring water.
>>Or are you going to get pedantic with that also? Get a friggin life...

> You're really one for assumptions, aren't you? I did not say that
> mineral water referred to anything specific; I said that I don't know
> how YOU use that term.

Well duh?? We are talking about brewing coffee. Right? Oh then again,
this drifted from that to the scientific definition (against what a
cliché is,) of what steam was, and in what context I used it.

Some people use it to refer to any sort of
> bottled water--despite the fact that many bottled waters that call
> themselves "mineral water" are basically just filtered tap water. Like
> people calling clouds of liquid water, "steam." Other sources insist
> that mineral water refers only natural spring or artesian well waters.
> An article in The Guardian earlier this year stated that The Radisson
> Edwardian Hotels chain, at its Leicester Square hotel, sold filtered tap
> water under the title "mineral water."

I think most people will know what you are talking about, when you
mention mineral water.

So let's see here and take a poll, I may be wrong.

TO the NG in general:

Mineral water is:

A) Water that has spontaneously appeared from a rock.

B) Minerals that you can extract water from.

C) Water that you have always desired because you were not breast fed.

D) Water usually obtained from natural springs, but can also be made my
adding minerals to RO or distilled water (not in its steam state.)

Me thinks D fits the bill.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."