Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Donating to the Food Bank

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catal...24/p-1052/pd-s

> What makes it 'Oriental'?

Good question. It has no ingredients from the orient, but more of the
style that is liked in China. I found this.
https://www.thespruce.com/about-chin...mustard-695079

In the case of prepared mustards, the reaction is toned down by using
additives such as flour. The actual flavor of prepared mustard will
depend on a number of factors, including the type of seeds used, how
they are processed, and what spices are added. For example, France's
world famous Dijon mustard is made with strong brown or black mustard
seeds, verjuice (the juice of unripened grapes) and/or a white wine or
wine vinegar, cloves, cinnamon and other seasonings.

This gives it a distinctive taste worlds apart from the plain yellow
mustard you pour on your hotdog.

By contrast, Chinese hot mustard is made with dry mustard - mustard that
has been dried sufficiently so that when crushed it forms a powder.
Asian markets and online stores carry Chinese mustard powder which, like
Dijon, is made with the stronger brown mustard seeds, called Brassica
juncea.

However, English Colman's dry mustard powder, made by blending the
flavorful brown seeds with the less pungent white mustard seeds, is a
perfectly acceptable substitute.