Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Donating to the Food Bank

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:52:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2017-10-11 4:41 PM, wrote:
>>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:32:59 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Good point Dave! They shouldn't be allowed anything comforting to
>>> them! I would love to think you might fall on hard times sometime in
>>> the future!

>>Do you consider cigarette smoking to be comforting to someone when they
>>light up next to you in a building? It does make me wonder about the
>>need to get food at a food bank when they are spending more on
>>cigarettes than it would cost to by food in a grocery store.
>>

> Sometimes when someone has nothing, one thing is all that they have.
> It may be cigarettes, drugs or sex or even a dog that trails along
> after them.

I also think it's easier if you are out and about to get a cigarette from
someone than it is food. How many times has anyone ever asked you for food?
I can only think of one time when I was out and about. I had a package of
string cheese at the park. Two little kids asked me for some. I did give
them some after asking their mother first if it was okay. She was very
grateful as they had no food.

I have had people ask me while in my house, call and ask or stop by and ask
for food. Some people do know of my stockpile and I also keep a lot of
single serve snack type things because we do have a lot of people in and out
of here. However, these are all people I know.

When I smoked, rarely a day went by that I was out and about that someone
did not ask for a cigarette. All it took was for me to light one up in
public.