Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Janet is offline

Default Donating to the Food Bank

In article >,
says...

> On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 7:04:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:12:52 -0700 (PDT), "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >I'm assuming people in the UK have to pay property taxes each year
> > >on their home. If this is not the case, please correct. But if
> > >these people you speak of have homes but can't afford to pay their
> > >utility bills how are they able to pay the property tax bill each
> > >year??

> > = rates in the UK

UK "rates" were replaced over 20 years ago. Then we had poll Tax. Now
it's Council Tax, which is graduated a different way.

> Explanation, please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_Tax

"Council Tax is a local taxation system used in England, Scotland and
Wales. It is a tax on domestic property which was introduced in 1993 by
the Local Government Finance Act 1992, replacing the Community Charge
(popularly known as the Poll Tax). Each property is assigned one of
eight bands (A to H) based on property value, and the tax is set as a
fixed amount for each band. Some property is exempt from the tax, some
people are exempt from the tax, while some get a discount."

Janet UK