Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Donating to the Food Bank

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> There's going to be a big event/food bank drive on Dataw on 10/29/17. It's
> in conjunction with a golf tournament.
>
> The organizers are going to set out 19 collection bins around the island
> that morning for food donations. One of the bins will be just down the
> street. I'll be donating.
>
> They're asking for *canned* food due to the long shelf-life. Also, the
> collection bins will be sitting outside for hours. No frozen or
> refrigerated food, please. Oh, and the people coming around to pick up
> the donations that afternoon won't have any way to guard against glass
> bottles/jars breaking so they'd rather none of those, either.
>
> I was told along with canned vegetables the emphasis is really on protein.
> Peanut butter (in plastic jars) was suggested. Along with canned beans,
> I'm thinking dried beans. Canned broth. Rice is a starch but if, as I
> suspect, many of the recipients will be local migrant farm workers,
> perhaps they might like some rice with those beans. More protein: canned
> chunk chicken, tuna, salmon. Spam.
>
> I'm also thinking canned fruit. Not everything is about protein.
>
> How about some dried herbs and spices?
>
> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
> the food bank bin? I thought about canned tomatoes. But if this is
> indeed mostly going to feed the local farm workers, they're the ones who
> have been picking the tomatoes for months. They're probably sick of them.

The seasonings/spices I give are salt, pepper, chili powder, parsley,
cinnamon and Italian seasoning. I also do canned chicken, turkey, tuna,
beef, etc. Also canned ravioli and chili. I also like to donate things they
might not get a lot of such as olives. And if you can find these, they are
wonderful! We used to take them to dance conventions. Can be eaten as is and
come with a fork. I have also gotten good feedback from recipients who
received donations of them.

http://www.stdalfour.us/Market.cfm/category/11/