In article >, =20
says...
> Maybe not, but after reading your message this morning, I went
> straight to my accountant's office and spent the better part of the
> day filing trademark paperwork for "rech=EA", so thanks again for the
> heads-up. While checking online to see if the word was taken, I found
> out that the name "Caf=E9 California", which I was planning to use, was
> registered in 1996 to someone up in Minas Gerais. No big loss, though;
> it's kind of a cool sounding and plausible name (I'm from CA, and it
> could be said that the food is too), but it didn't fit 100% with my
> business model. "Caf=E9" gives the image of a caf=E9, whereas my store ha=

> limited space with counters and stools, not meant to be a particularly
> comfortable place to linger over coffee. Caf=E9 Canc=FAn is a popular
> nightclub franchised in various cities in Brazil; there is a local
> dance place called Caf=E9 Red; and another guy from California has a
> Mexican restaurant up in Balne=E1rio Camboriu called Caf=E9 Matatl=E2ntic=

o,
> or so I'm told; so I could have gotten away with Caf=E9 California just
> fine if it weren't already taken. But I am in a high-foot-traffic
> location downtown, where speed and agility are vital; so my proposed
> business name of Rech=EA R=E1pido or Rech=EA-R=E1pido is more appropriate=

: the
> first word describes the product, and the second describes the
> delivery format.
>=20
> IB
>=20

Sounds like you're going about things in the right way. Aside from the=20
"threat" of McD that kind of looms over any small fast food business=20
anywhere in the world, your more immediate concern is probably much more=20
local. When your concept takes off, it's a virtual given that the=20
competition will copy it. Any "intellectual property" protection you=20
can get for yourself up front is just plain smart business.

Good luck,
Bob