Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Ground turkey

On 9/19/2017 18:43, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:36:55 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/18/2017 7:34 AM, l not -l wrote:
>>>
>>> Tacos. I hate ground turkey; the only way I have ever had it
>>> that I could stand was in tacos. The seasonings make up for the
>>> odd, to me, taste of ground turkey. Just pinch off enough before
>>> turning into tacos to feed the dog. There are plenty of recipes
>>> on the web, from Rachael Ray to Martha Stewart to, well, every
>>> celeb chef and food company has a turkey taco recipe.
>>>

>> Ground turkey definitely requires a lot of seasoning. Back in the
>> 1980's it was being touted as "healthier" than other ground meats. So I
>> gave it a try a couple of times. It was sold in frozen 1 lb. chubs.
>>
>> The only way I found it tolerable was as spicy burgers (tacos would fit
>> that bill, too). Or formed into patties, pan cook them to remove the
>> excess fat*, then smother them with a well seasoned tomato sauce and top
>> with shredded Parmesan. Pop it into the oven to finish cooking and heat
>> the sauce and melt the cheese. Sort of like "turkey burger parmagiana".
>>
>> *Back then, at least, the skin was ground in along with the meat so what
>> was supposed to be "healthier" was actually very fatty. I've no idea if
>> that still holds true in 2017.
>>
>> Jill

> *just like ground beef you can purchase the level of fat content. I
> get the 90/10 grind (that's 10 percent fat) I am able to get it
> fresh, unfrozen. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
> Janet US

As I stated, I haven't tried it since the 1980's. Back then I only saw
it in frozen chubs. Seems to me Julie said what she got was frozen,
too. I have no idea what the current ratio of lean/fat is. I do know,
while I managed to make somethig palatable out of ground turkey in the
1980's, it did not make me want to try it again, ever. Enjoy!

Jill