Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default How to tenderize beef?

On 9/20/2017 14:27, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-09-20, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I do think old tenderizers such as Adolphs brand contained baking soda.
>> Perhaps for very tough cuts of beef.

> <https://www.mccormick.com/lawrys/flavors/adolphs/adolphs-seasoned-meat-tenderizer>
>
> Adolf's currently uses Bromelain, an extract from the pineapple
> plant. Papain is another tenderizer, extracted from the papaya
> plant. Seems to me, some old tenderizer brand used the papaya
> extract, but I forget which. No baking soda.
>
> nb

That may be the case now but I think in the 1960's Adolphs contained
baking soda. Don't ask me to produce any proof of that. I've never
actually used powdered meat tenderizer. I've beaten the crap out of
beef with a flour mixture and a meat mallet... but not baking soda or
powdered meat tenderizer.

I've marinated meat with pineapple juice. Also mandarin orange juice
and teriyaki sauce. I'm tired of posting that marinade recipe.

Jill