Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Ground turkey

> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 08:22:11a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 22:43:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

(snippage)
>>> But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like
>>> it at all. However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I
>>> will be eating. Of course the obvious answer would be to ask the
>>> person what he would like but he is too busy working now and only
>>> has time to stop by for dinner. So... What would be good to make
>>> with this? I am also feeding his dog so am trying to make things
>>> without onions or other things that dogs shouldn't eat. I have
>>> made some things that do contain onions but kept back a small
>>> portion of the other ingredients so that I could make something
>>> safe for the dog.

I appreciate Julie helping someone out. But really, buy dog food for
the dog. There's absolutely no reason to be cooking for it. It's not
her dog.

>>> I was thinking of a white chili but would this work with ground
>>> turkey? I have plenty of canned white beans, and some jarred salsa
>>> verde.

Sounds like it should work. IMHO, ground turkey is very bland and needs
to be seasoned well.

(snippage)

>>> Any ideas? Going through this food will be interesting. Also saw a
>>> turkey wing, chicken wings, ground bison, ground mystery meat and
>>> perhaps stew meat. The meat came as such a surprise that my
>>> freezer is stuffed full. We had an interesting meal using up bits
>>> and pieces of things to make more room in there. I will go through
>>> the rest of it in a few days and see what else is there.

>> turkey lunchmeat is just fine for sandwiches. Turkey lunchmeat
>> comes in all kinds of flavors and is just fine. Ground turkey is
>> just fine in chili. I just don't understand all the squeamishness
>> around ground turkey. Particularly in this case where you will
>> not be eating it. Make your regular chili and just use the turkey.
>> I make my spaghetti sauce with ground turkey all the time. It is
>> much lower fat content, better for you than beef and mixed with
>> spices and garlic and onions, who cares? I still get compliments
>> on my spaghetti sauce and I never tell anyone what the meat is.
>> You're just being silly. Janet US

No, she just wants to post about it. I don't use ground turkey but I
have in the past. Along your spaghetti sauce theme, I mentioned in
another reply I used it using it to make patties which I browned to
release the fat (in the 1980's it was very fatty, skin ground into it).
Then top with a nice tomato sauce and Parmensan cheese. Sort of a
ground turkey parmagiana. There are things that can be done with it,
sure.
> What's silly is arguing the point. There are those who like it and
> those who don't. I _can_ tell the difference if ground turkey is
> used in anything. Maybe it's a situation where some people say that
> cilantro tastes like soap.

The difference here is, Julie isn't going to be *eating* it, neither is
her family. She picked stuff up at the food bank for someone else.
She's going to cook it. But she doesn't know how...

Jill