Posted to rec.food.cooking
Casa de Masa Casa de Masa is offline

Default Ground turkey

On 9/19/2017 3:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Casa de Masa" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Beef doesn't raise cholesterol.
>>>

>> EH?
>>
>> https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...terol-in-beef/
>>

>> Bottom Line in Beef Cuts
>>
>> Chuck roast contains more cholesterol than other cuts of beef. A
>> 3-ounce serving of braised chuck blade roast has 90 milligrams and a
>> braised chuck arm roast has 100 milligrams of cholesterol. A variety
>> of beef cuts contain 70 to 80 milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce
>> serving, including rib roast, eye of round, top round, sirloin and
>> tenderloin cuts. Ground beef falls into the same range. Ninety-percent
>> lean ground beef has 72 milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce
>> serving, while 80 percent lean ground beef contains 77 milligrams.

> There is cholesterol in it but that doesn't mean eating it raises ours.

Compared to say fish or chicken - sure does.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/red-...erol-9354.html

Cholesterol Levels
Red meat, which includes beef, pork and lamb, provides more saturated
fat and cholesterol per serving than poultry, fish or vegetable
proteins. Eating too much red meat may increase your cholesterol levels,
putting you at risk for heart disease, heart attack and stroke. A total
cholesterol level of less than 200 milligrams per deciliter and a
low-density lipoprotein, or LDL, level of less than 130 milligrams per
deciliter puts you at the lowest risk, according to MayoClinic.com.
Cholesterol from Red Meat
You absorb cholesterol from the animal products that you eat. and
consuming excess dietary cholesterol may contribute to elevated
cholesterol levels in your body. The Cleveland Clinic recommends that
you keep your intake of cholesterol under 200 milligrams a day. A
3-ounce portion of T-bone steak has about 51 milligrams of cholesterol,
while a 3-ounce pork chop has 60 milligrams of cholesterol. But you'll
get no cholesterol from vegetable proteins, such as beans.