Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default pot luck item

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 21:28:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"

wrote:

>>> Yes, I rather see them out enjoying a cup of coffee with friends than
>>> sitting home listening to their arteries hardening.
>>>

>> Yes, getting out of the house is important. Sheldon mention inviting them
>> to one's home. I bet not to many wive want four or five guys showing up
>> for coffee at 7 AM.

>Hehehe. I wouldn't like that too much.

I've never invited 4-5 guys for anything... I don't even know 4-5 guys
who I would invite who are still living, who don't live a dozen states
away, who aren't in nursing homes. We've always invited couples,
usually one couple, very rarely more than one couple. These days
those we socialize with are neighbors, people who weather permitting
typically visit outdoors on the deck or we'll meet for cocktails at
some local tavern. No one we would socialize with here would spend
more than at most two hours together, but more likely one hour.

Neither of us have large familys nor have we ever had a lot of
friends, we are both very much into quality rather than quantity...
when we married 26 years ago we only invited 30 guests includding
family, were we to scrape up guests today we'd be pushing it to invite
ten. Were it important for me to hang out with people I worked with
I'd not have retired... since I retired I've never gone back, I've
never been back to Long Island. There are only two guys I worked with
who we still phone each other occasionally, perhaps 4 times a year...
and we really don't have a lot to say, it's mostly to see who's still
alive. For $10 I purchased a lifetime subscription to the company
retired employees newsletter, a four pager issued four times a year,
includes an Obit, most people I actually knew are long gone.
https://www.bnl.gov/bera/activities/brea/Newsletter.asp
At the time I began working there I was the youngest one in the
department. It's been some 40 years since I began working at BNL,
there are maybe two people out of the nearly 5,000 employees at the
time I retired who would remember me.

I've never met anyone who actually has nearly as many friends as they
claim, mostly they have acquaintances, they like to say every name in
their phone directory is their friend, even the receptionist at their
doctor's office.