Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_14_] Ophelia[_14_] is offline

Default pot luck item

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 8/16/2017 1:23 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 15 Aug 2017 07:42:16p, Ed Pawlowski told us...
>
>> On 8/15/2017 10:25 PM, wrote:
>>

>>> No one arrives here at 7 AM other than critters, we're still in
>>> bed... we've gotten up at 5 AM to feed the cats but then we go
>>> back to bed to have our coffee etc. We don't want to see anyone
>>> until at least after 10 AM... and if we have chores planned we
>>> dont want to see anyone that day. We've never met anyone for
>>> breakfast, not ever,

>> We've done it twice, maybe three times but it was not early. It
>> was a situation where one of us had an appointment at 8 or 9 near
>> a friend so I suggested we meet for breakfast after since we were
>> near them, about 25 miles from home.
>>

>>> The only reason I can think of for us to meet
>>> anyone at 7 AM is if one of the kids had to go to the ER. We're
>>> not nearly so insecure that we need to have breakfast with people
>>> we worked with...

>> Seems like a lot of guys that are early risers and worked together
>> for many years are the ones that do that. I'm not an early riser
>> by nature.
>>

>> in fact since we retired neither of us has had any
>>> communication with anyone we've worked with... they were not our
>>> friends, they were aquaintances, people we hardly knew on a
>>> personal level.

>> I can narrow that down to two. One from a job I started in 1981.
>> We hit it off, became friends (both husband and wives) and though
>> it is 30 years since we worked together we are still close
>> friends. Another goes back 25 years. Work aside we did things as
>> friends. Her birthday is the day before my wife's so I made
>> dinner for both of them the past couple of years. we're going out
>> for lunch together tomorrow. in fact.
>>
>> The rest, no contact. They may have been good to work with but we
>> never spent out of work time together.
>>

> When I was still working I had many friends at work, a few were very
> close friends.....at work. During those years we had many planned
> and not planned luncheons out, however, in all truth, almost none of
> us had much in common except for work and never socialized outside of
> work. A week before my retirement around 40 people showed up for my
> retirement party. Several brought gifts, and my boss bought me an I-
> Pad.
>
> After I retired I never went back and never looked back. There was
> not enough in common to spend a coouple of hours to reminisce.over
> unless it had been work. I had no inclination to rehash that. I
> pass that building almost everyday, but I'll never go through that
> door again.
>
> I had one very close friend and her husband who retired a couple of
> years before I did and we used to socialize with them frequently..
> Unfortunately, both of them passed away before I retired.

My working career spanned 54 years. In that time I've met two
co-workers that became real friends. Many of the people were great to
work with, nice to talk to at lunch, but we never became real friends.

My last position was General Manager at a place I worked at for 27
years. It has only been a few months but I have not gone back either,
nor do I intend to. I did have minimal contact with a couple of people,
but nothing more than casual. I had the opportunity to go in a few
hours a week at a really good pay but after a few weeks I declined that
too. Life is about more than just money.

===

I have never returned to my work either. I have been to other museums but
never to any of mine!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk