Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_17_] dsi1[_17_] is offline

Default pot luck item

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 11:22:01 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-08-14 3:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > You and the schoolyard queen are way too excitable. Yoose arrogant
> > guys feel oh so superior to us regular mugs that eat at high volume
> > fast-food restaurants. Your opinions of restaurants that you've never
> > eaten before is irrelevant. My opinion on the food is irrelevant
> > too.

> It's not that anyone looks down on people who patronize fast food joints
> that sell cheap food. The problem is when they say the stuff is good.

Why would that be a problem? Are people so insecure that they cannot handle people liking the stuff they like? Your likes and dislikes is not a problem for me. OTOH, if you like beating your wife, I guess that would be a problem. Are people beating their cheap foods?

OTOH, I'll take a $1.50 McBurger over a $10.00 fancy burger any day of the week. Those fancy burgers are just too big and gross to me. A McBurger would normally make me feel sick, except if I haven't eaten anything for awhile in which case, I might say it's awesomely good. OTOH, I'd rather have a bowl of rice and raw fish than any burger.

> > The reality is the boomers don't go to fast food restaurants much -
> > except to meet up with their old gang in the mornings and drink
> > coffee for hours. The important customers at these joints are young
> > people. Man up and quit whining about how you don't get to be king
> > anymore.

> Young? As in the kids who were taken there by their parents because the
> children were seduced into the McDonalds experience by their advertising
> and targeting the child audience who then grew up thinking that is what
> a hamburger and fries should taste like.

If what you say is true, then I'd say that McDonald's has brilliant marketing. The reality is that young people are going to determine the future food trends of America. The young always do. These kids are open to and exposed to new food ideas. Like sweet spaghetti. Old folks are not going to like it because they're set in their ways. That's not going to stop Jollibee in the US. Jollibee occupies a very sweet spot in food chains. They get to compete against KFC et al., and McDonald's et al., and apparently, the kids dig their spaghetti.