Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] lucretiaborgia@fl.it is offline

Default pot luck item

wrote:

>>> I just wrote all that to tell you. It comes from new friends with
>>> different values that often can overcome the old parental values.
>>> Teenagers are sick of mom and dad rules. They meet new cool
>>> friends and go with that. They want to fit in.
>>>

>>> Bottom line he
>>>
>>> You raise your cute kids and love them to death.
>>> Then they turn into annoying teenagers.
>>> By the time they graduate HS at age 18 or so
>>> you are glad that they will leave home soon
>>> either college or out in the world.
>>> Either way they are not in your house.
>>>
>>> God invented teenagers so you don't grieve
>>> too much when your children leave home.
>>> By then, you are glad of it.
>>> :-D

>> I must be the only person to raise my kids so they were civilised
>> around adults, whether parents or their friends parents. Offending
>> incurred instantaneous and undesirable punishment. Maybe mine were
>> cowards, but they seemed to avoid it.
>>

>I wonder just how much the nature versus nurture matters. A good friend
>has 3 boys. All were raised in a good environment, had college
>education paid for, many good opportunities. The middle child was
>adopted. He is still a very polite young man, but he did not go to
>college used drugs, spent some time in jail for robbery.
>
>Kids do notice things though. My son (now 47) did a few things recently
>that I thought were commendable. When I mention it, he just said he saw
>how I handled a similar situation in the past. That was 30 years ago
>when he was 17. Made me proud he paid attention and made good decisions.

I can't say, I asked mine why not one of them does any form of
volunteer work when all had watched both of us giving time and help to
the community - 'people just don't work for no pay these days" oops,
sorry I asked I think it is true, many events that required quite
a bit of volunteer work have been cancelled in the past few years for
lack of help.