Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

On 2017-08-14 8:56 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I'm not a "boomer" per se (depends on which war you're talking about)

> Wrong.
> The 'baby boomer generation' only talks about one war. World War
> 2 ended in 1945
> (Europe and then Pacific a few months later)
>
> Then all those young men came home, had sex and in 1946
> there was a "baby boom"

I am not so sure about that. Sure, the soldiers came home, married and
had kids. It was a relatively small portion of the population who went
overseas to fight, though s significant portion of the people of
reproduction age. Most of them had smaller families than their parents
had. In previous generations it was common to have a lot of children,
but the boomers usually limited their offspring to 3-4.

According to Stats Can data, the average household in the 1850s was 7.
There was a fairly drop over the decades and in the baby boomer age it
remained steady for a few years before they downward trend continued.