Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

On 2017-08-12 2:52 PM, wrote:
> On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 1:39:50 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> She does this because she feels 'entitled' because she's family. I
> simply would have to lay down the lay to her and not be in the least
> bit timid about calling her out for her behavior. But she's your
> relative and you have to deal with her selfish, self-centered behavior.

I am not sure it is an issue of entitlement. I think she gets some cheap
thrill from stealing or sneaking food. It is more of a compulsion.

She came to stay the weekend with us once when she was a teenager. I got
in trouble with my wife because I had baked a double batch of chocolate
chip cookies. I figured she would have some and there would be some
leftover. Problem was that she was on a diet and should not be tempted.
Not a problem. I packed them into cans and stashed them at the back of
the bottom cupboard.

My brother and his wife were coming for supper on the Saturday night and
I made an apple pie for dessert. When it was time for dessert I went to
get the pie and discovered that she had eaten the middle out of the pie.
It was not just a taste. There was a 2-3" ring of pie around the outside
and she had eaten almost half the pie. Who the hell does stuff like that?

I was glad to see my wife take her to the bus station around noon on the
Sunday. I got down and reached into the back of the lower cupboard to
get out the cookie tins and they were both empty. I don't even know how,
in that small apartment, she was able to sneak in there and eat more
than 50 cookies.

Sure.... she was young. It should not be responsible forever for things
she did as a teen.... except that she is more than 40 years older now
and her behaviour hasn't changed.

One can get some fun out of it. My BiL threw a big party for himself on
his 60th birthday. It was a nice hot summer day and he hosted the event
as his ski chalet. My cousin catered it. My son, about 16 at the time,
and one of his cousins had some fun at her expense. They would get some
food, take a bit out of it, leave it on a plate and then step back and
watch for her to come along and eat the leftover bits. She was like a
seagull, swooping in and eating the food people had left on their plates.