Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default pot luck item

wrote:

>>> I hope nobody holds back and tells her she's too old to be hanging
>>> out those younger guys, even if one is her cousin. And I hope they
>>> tell her they don't want to pay for her food orgies.

>> She does get excluded from a lot of events for a couple reasons. One is
>> that she and her husband are quite a bit older. Making a pig of herself
>> is another one. She once dropped in on her step sister, who was
>> expecting company... invited company. Step sister was a very generous
>> hostess who loved to prepare lots of good food when entertaining. BN
>> was invited to stay and then she ate all the food before the guests
>> arrived.
>>

> I would have had to speak up and say "STOP! You're not going to eat
> e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g before the guests arrive." I truly would have
> said that to her.

I would have said that to her, too. Get out of the kitchen! You have
no business digging in the pantry. Go into the living room and sit down!

>>> Just how BIG is she?

>> She is 6 feet tall and probably about 350. About 2 years ago she had to
>> lose 75 pounds to get a hip replacement. She has since gained it all back.
>>

> Why doesn't she go in for the stomach reducing surgery? How big is
> her husband? Are they both the size of an adult rhinoceros??

6 feet is pretty tall. Is she as wide as she is tall?!

As for the stomach bypass surgery it costs a heck of a lot of money.
Likely not covered by insurance unless there is a doctor who will
certify it is medically necessary.

I knew several people at work who had to find a doctor out of state who
would authorize it before our company health insurance would cover it.
No doubt why our group insurance rates went up. One woman actually
*gained weight* on purpose so she could get approved for the gastric
bypass. One guy who had it done thought it meant he could pig out on
anything he wanted. And he made sure to pick up two fried fish meals
from either Captain D's or Long John Silver's the day before... with
fries and hush puppies. He said, "Gotta eat a lot while I can!"

He busted a gut after the surgery, eating pizza and burgers pretty much
the minute he got home. NO NO NO NO! Start of off with broth, then
move on to soft foods. In a few weeks you get to eat solid foods. In
moderation.

IIRC, my former MIL did that, too. The minute she got home she thought
she could eat anything she wanted. That's not the way the surgery works.

Jill