Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

On 2017-08-11 7:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/11/2017 6:11 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-08-11 5:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Fortunately I never ran into someone like your big niece. I will say
> large parties of say, 10-15 older women tended to run servers to death.
> I didn't mind separate checks. It was the "Could I have some more
> butter?" Sure. Bring that back, someone else wants more cream. Bring
> that back, someone else, how about more lemon? It did get to the point
> where I felt like saying, "How about you make a list? I'll come back in
> 2 minutes and bring it all at one time!" You can't do that if you're a
> server relying on tips. Not that a table of 10-15 old women ever tipped
> more than a quarter each. LOL As I said, it was a *long* time ago.

We had a similar sort of experience at my FiL's birthday/ family
Christmas party. He hosted it at the Military Institute coinciding with
its family Christmas brunch. He arranged for the family to have a room.
It was a buffet brunch and they had servers for drinks, coffee, tea
etc, The waiter came around with coffee. BN wanted tea. The waiter came
back with tea for her. She asked for milk. The waiter returned with a
pitcher of milk. Then she asked for a glass of milk. He came back with
a glass of milk. Then she asked for orange juice. He came back with a
glass of orange juice. Then she asked for a soft drink. The waiter
disappeared and we never saw him again. I didn't blame him.