Posted to rec.food.cooking
sanne[_2_] sanne[_2_] is offline

Default pot luck item

Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2017 12:40:26 UTC+2 schrieb Janet:
> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
> > as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

> Ratatouille.
>
> it can be served cold so if the host is hassled there's no need to
> fuss about in the kitchen reheating.
>
> it's a safe choice for any vegetarians, but meat eaters love it too and
> it goes with grilled chicken.
>
> if there's any left over it'll be even better the next day
>
> if you have a glut of tomatoes and zucchini it'll be really cheap to
> make.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/v...c-ratatouille/

Excellent idea!
I use a bit laurel and oregano, too. No lemon, but some pure apple juice
when it's cooked down quite far.
Easily done in a rice cooker ...

Another way to get rid of zucchini in a pleasant way:

Zucchini, Korean style

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds zucchini (any size as long as the skin isn't really hard)
3 Tbs neutral cooking oil (I prefer sunflower seed)
3 garlic cloves (or as many as you prefer)
3 longish red peppers (hot or mild; depends on your taste) "
1 dash roasted Sesame seed oil
3 Tbs sugar (or less)
5 Tbs soy Sauce or
1 Ts salt
2-4 Tbs unflavored Vinegar

Wash zucchini, trim the ends, half or quarter lengthwise (depending on the
size), cut up diagonally in slices of 1/4 to 1/3 inch.
Heat up the neutral oil in a large pan/skillet with the garlic halved
lengthwise and the peppers halved diagonally or whole. Don't brown the
garlic much, it tends to get bitter otherwise!
Add the zucchini and the sugar, stir and let them brown a bit, stir again,
reduce the heat, add soy sauce or salt and vinegar and let simmer until
the zucchini are done and most of the liquid has evaporated.
Adjust salt/sweet/sour to taste.
Serve at any temperature, sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
Keeps very well in an air-tight container in the fridge and gets even
better then. Therefore, you may multiply the amounts used - left-overs
are no problem. If there happen to be any, that is...

You may prepare dried and hydrated shiitake, stems removed, the same way.
Or lotus roots.

Bye, Sanne.