Posted to rec.food.baking
Nyssa[_2_] Nyssa[_2_] is offline

Default Hamburger buns

Terry Coombs wrote:

> On 3/2/2014 5:30 PM, pintlar@node1 wrote:
>> Anyone have any hints on how to make decent hamburger
>> buns? Can't find my Juliete Childs' Baking cookbook.
>> I think it is mainly a reduction in fat.
>> As long as I'm at it....how about those addicting Cibatta
>> buns?
>>

> New to the group - but not to baking .
>
> I use my regular white bread ( trying it as half-wheat
> today !)
> recipe , weight the dough out into 75 gram portions . Bake
> 'em on a 12" x 15" expanded mesh grilling rack from
> Walmart - the light cheap ones - covered with foil that's
> sprayed with cooking oil . My recipe makes ~900 grams of
> dough , yielding a dozen buns per batch . Hot dog buns the
> same except 60 grams and yields 15 buns - 3 rows of 5 buns
> each , and there's a batch in the bread machine (mix and
> knead only) right now .
>
> Just checked the first batch , 2 1lb loaves , and looks
> like one fell
> just a bit . Not to worry , I figgered there'd be some
> adjustments . I'll post my white bread and adjusted
> recipes if anyone wants them .
>
> --
>
> Snag
>
> Or maybe not , I just realized I'm responding to a post
> from March of
> 2014 ...

Don't worry; it happens to all of us occasionally. At least
the original post was from this century.

Perhaps a lurker can use the information if not the OP.

For hamburger/sandwich buns I use a recipe from the King
Arthur site that makes six big buns. The only change I made
was to up the dried onion to 1 1/2 tablespoons.

I also use a recipe I modified from one posted on alt.bread.
recipes that uses a bit of rye flour along with the white
plus some celery seed and onion powder.

Nyssa, who is glad she's got a stash of the sandwich buns
in the freezer since it's too doggone hot to bake now