Posted to rec.food.preserving
Mark Curry Mark Curry is offline

Default strawberry freezer jam

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>On Fri 23 Jun 2017 10:27:08a, songbird told us...
>
>> Boron wrote:
>>> My only concern (not based on any experience using frozen
>>> berries) would be the moisture content. Freezer jam can sometimes
>>> be a bit "damp" even with fresh fruit.
>>>
>>> You could defrost the berries in a sieve, tho. That might help
>>> prevent any addl moisture..

>> i mash the berries pretty well so there is
>> usually plenty of juice anyways. i don't think
>> this is a problem as i've not had poor results.
>>

>> songbird
>>

>Good to know. Thanks!

I've never tried the freezer jam method before, and it sounds like
a great idea. My wife never cared all too much for our cooked
strawberry jam recipes. The color and fresh flavor are really muted
when you cook it.

Does the technique work for other fruits too? Our peach tree is
overloaded - we'll be ready to put up the fruit in a week. We usually
just make jam preserves, but I'm thinking maybe of holding back
a few lbs for an attempt at a freezer batch.

We just did a (large) batch of olallieberry jam - great crop this year from
some patches near the coast. They was nothing for the past couple
of year due to the California drought.

--Mark