Posted to alt.food.sushi
Ken Blake[_3_] Ken Blake[_3_] is offline

Default What is the Japanese name for escolar?

On Wed, 31 May 2017 18:18:25 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>On 5/30/2017 7:48 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 May 2017 13:38:04 -0700 (PDT), Shiro Otaku
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I'd heard it was "abura bouzu" but when I search for that, it comes up as "skilfish." Does anyone know the actual Japanese word for escolar?

>> According to
>> http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-sashim...i-terminology/ it is
>>
>> Abura Bouzu – (ah-boo-rah boh-zoo) or Abura Sokomutsu (ah-boo-rah
>> soh-koh-moo-tsoo) – This is Escolar (Oilfish) and sometimes called
>> Shiro Maguro, although it is not tuna and should not be confused with
>> that fish.

>I've heard it called mutsu.. Shiro Maguro refers to albacore tuna.

Yes, usually. It literally mean "white tuna," even though there is no
white tuna.

The only fish called mutsu in Japanese that I can find is bluefish.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutsu