Posted to rec.food.cooking
sanne[_2_] sanne[_2_] is offline

Default Alfredo makes my stomach sick

Am Sonntag, 28. Mai 2017 13:08:05 UTC+2 schrieb :

> To cut a long story short, they advised freezing the basil,

Never! It loses all its flavor that way!

> which has its own season,

Yes and no - you get pots with basil all year, but...

> and then using portions of it to make pesto with the opther fresh-bought
> ingredients.

Or buy sterilized stuff instead of making it yourself.

> They reckoned that there would be a risk of botulism with pesto made
> all in one go and kept for a period of time.

OMG!
There's always a risk, but you'll smell that. And hear - when the jars (are
going to) explode...

> Now, I'm not a chemist, but I do see red lights when I read things like
> that. That's why I make any dish with cheese from freshly bought produce,
> and do it fresh,

Nothing wrong with that.

> and what's not used gets thrown away.

I would suggest to freeze the leftovers; they will taste much better than
mistreated basil.

> You should ponder on this, and be careful.

Always!
I'm still alive. ;-)

Bye, Sanne.