Posted to rec.food.cooking
JBurns JBurns is offline

Default I really I give up now

On Thu, 25 May 2017 00:02:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 24 May 2017 10:54:08a, Wayne Boatwright told us...

>>> People in the human disposal business can be quite brutal. I
>>> think it is shameful that they would not allow anyone else to be
>>> buried in the spot or to give it to another family member. My
>>> brother and his wife managed to get a plot on their church in
>>> Niagara on the Lake and when my mother died they offered to have
>>> her ashed interred there. My wife's family have a plot in a
>>> cemetery. There were already three caskets in it, her great
>>> grandmother, grandmother and grandfather. There are also a number
>>> of urns and markers for her mother, father, brother, two aunts,
>>> an uncle and a cousin.
>>>
>>> My father's ashes are buried in churchyard in Denmark that
>>> contains a war graves cemetery. The church cemeteries over there
>>> usually have grave sites reserved for 20 years and then they are
>>> recycled and someone else is put there. His case is a little
>>> different. Thanks to some negotiations between the war graves
>>> commission, the British embassy and the church council, the
>>> church donated a spot right next to the war graves section.
>>>

>> I have to admit that at the time my parents bought their own plots
>> as well as mine, a binding contract signed. My parents were
>> agreeable to this and, at the time, I didn't really give it much
>> thought. However, contracts are meant to honored, so be it. We
>> tried on several occasions, both in writing and in person to
>> change or nullify the contract, to no avail.
>>

>The cemetery business is a huge money maker, particularly when
>combined with other services including the plot, vault, casket,
>opening and closing of the grave, and burial process. If this is
>sold as a package, which it often is, once you've bought it they
>don't care if you use the plot or not. They have no interest in
>reselling or refunding any part of the package, or even transferring
>ownership to another family member. This might not always be true
>with smaller operations, but the really large cemeteries really don't
>give a shit.

Aint that the truth. Even though my mother had no funeral it still
cost just shy of $4k to have the funeral director pick her body up and
deliver to the nearest crematorium, apply for a death certificate and
cremate her body. They charged $500 extra because they picked her up
at 6PM which is after business hours. The hospice had no morgue for
overnight storage until the next business day. WTF?, a hospice full of
people that are going to die and no morgue.

JB