Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight

On 2017-05-25 11:44 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/22/2017 9:02 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> I used to pack a lunch sometimes when I was working. Most of the time I
>> was on the road and ate in restaurants. I did occasionally take
>> something to re-heat.
>>

> I haven't known many people who worked "on the road". Eating out in
> restaurants is expensive, even in a cheap diner. Ditto fast food. It
> adds up. Were you reimbursed for your meals? Did you have a per diem?

It can get expensive, but if we were 15 miles from our office we were
entitled to a meal allowance, and most of the time were even further
than that. It helped that we knew the cheap places with good food and
could eat for less than the allowance, so if he occasionally had to eat
closet to the office it was not a problem. We had a deli about 200
yards from the office where I could get a freshly made sandwich and a
pop for less than $2. Even 20 years ago that was a bargain.

> I've nearly always worked in an office setting. I took home-cooked
> meals because it was less expensive and I knew what I was getting for
> lunch. I can't tell you how many co-workers complained about money but
> were spending $$ every day at fast food joints for crappy food.

We had an office with desks for 4 people and there were 10 of us so we
had share them. We would show up there, pick up our vehicles and hit the
road and be back by quitting time. I was never certain where I would be
and mu lunch would be sitting in a hot car all day.