Steve Calvin

Glomis wrote:

> Thanks Steve for the response!
>
> Ummm...I don't think I'm a troll, although I have 'cooked' a few of them in
> my time!! :-)
>
> I'd estimate the ribs to be about 750 grams per rack. I guess I assumed
> that one would par boil because moose gets pretty tough if cooked too much.
> I'll give it a shot without the par boil. When you say dry rub...can you
> recommend one or tell me the ingredients so I can make one? I'm a novice
> cook...can you tell?!! :-)
>
> I plan to cook them tomorrow on the grill - so I have lots of time to get
> them ready - would an overnight marinate be of any advantage?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

lol, ok.

"low and slow" is the way to cook things that are typically tough (or
braising of course) Take a brisket for instance, extrememly tough
piece of meat but cook it at 250-275 until it reaches about 185dF
internal temperature and you've got bliss. At 750 grams (that's about
2 pounds I believe) then you're probably in the same timeframe as the
BB ribs I mentioned. Just keep checkin' em after about 2 hourse. Put
the bone side *up* in the smoker and don't turn it and you'll get
what's known as "bark". It's a rather crispy "skin" on the meat. Great
stuff. I'll say again as it's very important, let the ribs sit and
come to room temperature before starting the cooking process.

As for a rub, I'd just use salt and pepper personally and then move on
from there. There are literally thousands of rub recipes. It depends
on what spices/herbs that you like. Really, anything goes.
Follow this link and you'll see about 1000, pick one that sounds good
to ya.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Some people use sugar (white and/or brown) some don't. (I'm in the
"don't" camp).

Actually, rather than ramble on I should just point you to the BBQ FAQ
page I suppose.

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

Good luck. I'm rather new myself to Q'ing but boy is it fun. :-)

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.