Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bruce[_28_] Bruce[_28_] is offline

Default artichoke + wine?

On Thu, 4 May 2017 22:34:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/4/2017 6:55 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 May 2017 18:03:38 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> No, not really and no.

>> I didn't think so either. Makes me wonder which grapes make dry wine.
>>

>The process is part of the making of "dry" wines. Even concord grapes
>can be made dry. Has more to do with when fermentation is stopped and
>how much residual sugar is left. Of course, some grapes do have higher
>sugr than others.

http://www.winespectator.com/drvinny/show/id/5070

"In general, some whites wines are almost always made in a dry style:
Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Spanish Albarińos and Austrian Grüner
Veltliners, for example. Some wines often fall between dry and
off-dry: many New World Chardonnays, Rieslings, Viogniers and Pinot
Gris, for example."

But you're right, it's also about the process. Pinot Gris and Pinot
Grigio are the same grape, but because the Italians tend to harvest
them earlier, Pinot Grigio is a more acidic (= drier) wine.