Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Serving refried beans (without tortillas)

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 10:41:01 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 11:37:01 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> >
>> > You asked what the story was. I gave you the answer. If you really got
>> > it then you know their beans (called refried but may have no fat and
>> > never hit a frying pan) is is their answer to your rice.
>> >
>> > --

>> My question was if the Mexicans ate refried beans with every meal. I did
>> not
>> ask whether or not they added a shitload of oil to refried beans or if
>> frying was mandatory. I already know the answer to those questions.
>> Mostly,
>> you guys ignore the question being asked and answer questions not asked.
>> Why
>> is that?
>>
>> ---
>>
>> I was told that refried beans are mostly eaten for special occasions in
>> Mexico because any kind of fat is hard to come by for most people.

> That's interesting. If I get a chance to talk to the Mexican couple that
> live around here, I'll casually bring the topic up. Thanks.

This guy is from Oaxaca. Funny thing is, when I told him what my favorite
Mexican place used to be, sadly they had to close due to lease not being
renewed, he said the owner was his uncle, also from Oaxaca. I seem to be
partial to that style of cooking as well as that of Yucatan. He has family
all around that own restaurants. His dad owns one and several others are
owned by cousins or uncles. They now all bear the same name but each has
some differences to the menu. His cousin owns one that is actually closer to
our house. Only problem is trying to get back home from there. It's set on
one side of a very busy highway with a divider in the middle and no cross
street for many miles beyond it. No way to turn around to get back to our
house so we have to go pretty far out of our way. We generally only go there
if we need to go to Woodinville for some reason.

Interesting thing about Woodinville. They weren't much of anything some
years ago. Sleepy little city with a few wineries and nurseries. But now
they are booming. So many wineries, I can't keep track. They just opened a
big hotel and they do winery tours in conjunction with staying there. Seems
Woodinville is now the place for dining. They have many more restaurants
than they used to. There is one that just does freshly cooked turkey and
your typical Thanksgiving sides. Also fine dining such as The Barking Frog
and The Herb Farm. I always thought The Herb Farm would be a fun but
expensive thing to do, but mostly what they serve isn't my kind of food.

http://www.gobblerestaurant.com/

https://www.willowslodge.com/barking_frog/

http://www.theherbfarm.com/