Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default So, the Sterling Silver

On 4/21/2017 4:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> I think those carving sets belong to an era where the meat was carved
>> *at the table*. Is that where you carve, say, a roast? I carve (for
>> example) standing rib roast on a cutting board in the kitchen, not at
>> the table.

> We generally carve at the table. My Henckles carving knife does a much
> better job of carving. IMO a fancy stag handle does not make it more
> suitable for company.

You see carving at the table on TV where day stands at the head and
makes it a big event.

I find it much easier to do in the kitchen where I have a cutting board
at the ready and a warm plate to put the meat on. This is especially
tru where it is best to cut off a large piece and then cut it to smaller
portions.

Years ago the was the "Beef & Beer" pub we went to at times. They had a
big steamship round and the carver wore his whites and the tall hat and
carved the meat for your sandwich. Nice show and really good beef too.