Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default So, the Sterling Silver

On 2017-04-21 10:02 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2017-04-21 6:42 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> It seems like sterling isn't on bride lists much anymore...living is
>> more casual than
>> it used to be, except for those who are in the higher income
>> brackets. That is what
>> it feels like, anyway.
>>

> That has also affected the antiques trade and here I'm talking about
> stuff well over the 100year old definition. In the UK, the bottom has
> dropped out of the market. People don't want to be bothered with looking
> after old stuff.

In the good old days the wealthy people had silverware and hired help
and/or lots of kids to clean it. They also had larger rooms and places
to store it. Moreover, tastes change. People these days don't like
those ornate silver patterns. They prefer contemporary patterns with
sleeker lines and they appreciate the lack of care required for
stainless flatware.