Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default So, the Sterling Silver

> On Thu 20 Apr 2017 09:30:28a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> The thread about home remedies and cleaning silver brought this
>> up. I don't use the sterling silver flatware. But I did go dig
>> it out of the drawer in the sideboard.
>>
>> First of all, it's stored in a Naken's *Tarnish Proof* Silverware
>> Chest, out of Chicago. I never noticed that label before. But
>> again, I don't use this silverware. Mom only used it on holidays.
>>
>> Here's the label on the box. I moved the knives over to take the
>> pic.
>>
>> https://s17.postimg.org/7k5xnm2an/label.jpg
>>
>> Here's the rest of the silverwa
>>
>> https://s16.postimg.org/xz6496rfp/silverware.jpg
>>
>> Not touched in years, and not tarnished!
>>
>> Should I give credit to the Naken's Tarnish Proof Silver Chest?
>> Or could it be because mother had placed a sheet of plastic wrap
>> over the knives on the lid of the chest and also over the forks,
>> spoons, all the other stuff on the bottom of the chest?
>>
>> At any rate, it's sterling. Roger's Silver Company, circa the
>> 1950's. Pattern "Old Charleston".
>>
>> http://www.beverlybremer.com/sterlin...rogers/old-cha
>> rleston
>>
>> Isn't that odd? I don't believe my mother ever imagined she'd
>> live within 130 miles of Charleston when she chose that silver
>> pattern.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Most silver chests were lined in some brand of "silver cloth". The
> cloth was inpregnated with microscopic particles of silver that was ble
> to thwart the tarnish from the actual silverware.

That's entirely possible. I have no idea what the cloth lining of this
chest is made of. It's soft, feels like some sort of felt. It may well
have been treated with something. At least 66 years ago.

> The most poplar brand of cloth that I know of is Pacific Silver Cloth.
> The company also make storage bags to hold serving pieces and other
> larger items.
>
> My grandparents had given my parents a set of sterling flatware called
> "Francis I" for their wedding and was stored in a large silver chest
> that stood on legs. All the other sterling and silver plate was store
> in Paciic Silver Cloth bags. Nothing was tarnished when I removd it.
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/j13da8/9

Wayne, that is gorgeous silver!

I'm going to pout a bit. I don't have the carving set. But hey, I do
have the cake server. Okay, I can cheer up a bit.

Those silverware chests on legs were really pretty pieces of furniture.

Jill