Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] lucretiaborgia@fl.it is offline

Default So, the Sterling Silver

https://s17.postimg.org/7k5xnm2an/label.jpg

>>> Here's the rest of the silverwa
>>>
>>> https://s16.postimg.org/xz6496rfp/silverware.jpg
>>>
>>> Not touched in years, and not tarnished!
>>>
>>> Should I give credit to the Naken's Tarnish Proof Silver Chest? Or
>>> could it be because mother had placed a sheet of plastic wrap over the
>>> knives on the lid of the chest and also over the forks, spoons, all the
>>> other stuff on the bottom of the chest?

>> Probably a combination of the chest and the plastic wrap sealing the
>> atmosphere out, however it's most likely due to your central AC
>> keeping humidity low, and also that the pieces haven't been handled,
>> acid in ones skin make starting points for tarnish. I could see some
>> tarnish in the recesses of one knife handle. I can't really tell in
>> the second picture as it's small and I couldn't find a way to enlarge
>> it.
>>

>Oh, there's a bit of tarnish in the recesses of each piece. But I was
>expecting a *lot* more tarnish. This silver flatware has been in many
>places where there was no AC. Trust me, Mom didn't sit around polishing
>it.
>
>>> At any rate, it's sterling. Roger's Silver Company, circa the 1950's.
>>> Pattern "Old Charleston".

>> I think it's a very attractive pattern, not overy gaudly like much of
>> the older European sets, and not ultra modern like some I've seen that
>> remind me of Picasso's cubic style... it's a very nice set, enjoy!
>>>

>I agree, it's a nice pattern. Not like my grandma's green Chelsea Bird
>china. That stuff was so garish it made me cringe!
>
>>> http://www.beverlybremer.com/sterlin...old-charleston
>>>
>>> Isn't that odd? I don't believe my mother ever imagined she'd live
>>> within 130 miles of Charleston when she chose that silver pattern.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Fate.
>>

>Quite a coincidence. The Antique Cupboard web site has a set of this
>same silverware pattern, service for 12 in a different wooden box,
>priced at just over $2000.
>
>A single 4-piece place setting at the link above (beverlybremer.com) is
>listed at $139. I seriously doubt I could get that much for it.
>
>Jill

It only tarnishes when exposed to chemicals in the air, those cutlery
chests did a good job of keeping it untarnished, I've never bothered
with saran wrap and mine is perfect.

I noticed after I bought this condo that decorative silver which is
out and exposed only needs cleaning about once a year. I figure it
must be something to do with living in a concrete building, because I
never lived anywhere else that it didn't need cleaning far more often.

If you pay the extra for Goddards Long Term silver cleaning liquid, it
really does put Hagertys in the shade.