Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default Fresh Express Recalls Batch After Dead Bat Found In Prepackaged Salad

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 08:33:58 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 4/12/2017 8:28 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 08:23:48 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> It looked just like a pecan. ACK! I'm a baby. Just one
>>> more thing to freak me out about tomato hornworms, they look
>>> like tomato vines, you could touch them by accident. (laugh)

>> wiggle the tomato plant before you handle. If you hear a clicking
>> noise, there is a hornworm in there. True. Cut him in half with your
>> pruning shears and dump him. Job done!

>These are all scary words put together in one hellish paragraph!
>
>A clicking noise, okay I'll remember that. I feel like I might
>have had hornworms last year so I'd better get with it.
>
>My Dad used to make us pick them off. Some things never leave
>you. Heh. They're so big. And green. And strong.
>
>nancy

LOL -- that's why you go with a weapon I can't touch them. Ewwww!
So I've given you my way of dealing. Trouble is, the little ones are
hard to see. But I'll be darned if I'll let them bite a hole on this
tomato and then move onto another and another.
"If" you have no objection to using a shake-on powder, there is Bt, an
organic insecticide.. I use the powder on my broccoli and cabbage
because I know those staggering white moths bring little worms and I
have used it on corn (although if you buy corn seeds that say that the
husks cover the cob tightly, you won't be bothered by corn worms) and
sometimes use it on tomatoes when times are really bad.
Off to battle!
P.S...my tomato plants have all been potted up into their final 1
gallon pots. (they grew faster this year) They are lined up on my
kitchen windowsill and just behind the faucets. (I should only have 4
plants -- I promised myself I would only keep 4 plants. But I couldn't
kill the 'just in case' seedlings so I have 10 tomato plants) All
waiting for it to be warm enough to spend the days outside on the deck
to harden off.
I'll pot-seed cucumbers squash this weekend.
Janet US