Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pancake without egg or milk

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 12:18:24 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-03-27, Brian Christiansen > wrote:
>
> >> Can I use water to make a pan cake?

> If you mean from scratch (homemade), no, you need milk. Preferably,
> buttermilk.
>
> TIP: 1 Tsp of lemon juice or white vinegar in 1 Cup of milk will turn
> that cuppa milk into buttermilk (or a facsimile, thereof....).
>
> If you mean an off-the-shelf pancake mix, no problem. Most have used
> water as the primary ingredient, fer yrs. My first experience with
> water driven pancake mix in the 70s was Krusteaz Instant Buckwheat
> Pancakes. Damn shortstack (2) would soak up an entire bottle of
> syrup!

Don't all of those mixes have powdered milk or something
in them? Mr. Christiansen wasn't specific on whether
he wanted dairy-free pancakes or if he just doesn't use
milk and was looking for something that doesn't use
ingredients that he lacks.

Here's a dairy-free, egg-free vegan pancake recipe:

<http://allrecipes.com/recipe/191885/vegan-pancakes/>

Frankly, I would cook something else. The taste and
texture would be nowhere near what I expect from a
pancake.

There were better-looking recipes that used soy milk
and whatnot, but you can't beat this one for simplicity.

Cindy Hamilton