Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Malls was Use by date

On 2/26/2017 9:21 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Malls seem to be losing their appeal around here. The large enclosed
> collections of the same old stores don't seem to be attracting customers
> the way they used to. Most new commercial developments these days tend
> to be box store farms and stand alone collections. For instance, a
> nearby city had a decent sized mall that at one time contained a Sears,
> Walmart, a grocery store and about 60 smaller stores, and there was a
> Canadian Tire across the street. Walmart and Canadian Tire moved around
> the corner and about a mile down, and there is big Rona at one end.
> Target moved into the unit that had been Walmart and then Kmart, but it
> floundered. I usually only go there for banking and half the people in
> there seem to be mall walkers.

With J C Penny closing 140 stores many malls may be in trouble.
Especially the ones that have Sears at one end and JCP at the other.

Can't tell you the last time we went to a mall, probably 6+ years. It
used to be an occasional destination on the weekend. Take a walk maybe
pick up a book or kitchen gadget, have a snack at the food court.
The internet has sure changed the way we do things. Even what I buy in
the stores is often shopped and compared beforehand from various web
sites.