Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Malls was Use by date

On 2/26/2017 9:21 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-02-26 9:05 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I haven't been to a shopping mall since I was in my 20's. As a teen, it
>> was a place to hang out with friends. There was a movie theatre and of
>> course, being teenage girls, we loved looking at all the clothes. Rarely
>> had money to buy anything, but looking was free. You couldn't drag
>> me to a mall these days.

> Malls seem to be losing their appeal around here. The large enclosed
> collections of the same old stores don't seem to be attracting customers
> the way they used to. Most new commercial developments these days tend
> to be box store farms and stand alone collections. For instance, a
> nearby city had a decent sized mall that at one time contained a Sears,
> Walmart, a grocery store and about 60 smaller stores, and there was a
> Canadian Tire across the street. Walmart and Canadian Tire moved around
> the corner and about a mile down, and there is big Rona at one end.
> Target moved into the unit that had been Walmart and then Kmart, but it
> floundered. I usually only go there for banking and half the people in
> there seem to be mall walkers.

Well... when I still lived in the Memphis area I worked at the Raleight
Springs mall at JCP. Typical mall setup, Penney's at one end, Sears at
the other. LOL

Later there was The Mall of Memphis (which had an ice-skating rink and
was two stories high! The ultimate shopping mall!) The Mall of Memphis
was built in a really bad part of town. It didn't take long for the
area to go completely down and all of the stores to pull out. It stood
empty for a long time before the city finally razed it.

The Hickory Ridge Mall caught fire and burned down. I do remember
shopping there for some clothes in the early 1990's after I'd just
gotten a new job. I didn't just wander around the mall looking at
stuff. When I shop, I'm not browsing. I have specific things in mind.
Get me in and back out.

Wolfchase Galleria was brand new mall in Cordova but I didn't go there
until 2004. That's where I got those silly glamour shots taken.

Speaking of mall walkers, my then programming manager and her husband
were power walking around the mall. They came walking up while I was
previewing my pics at Glamour Shots and I was laughing with the photo
tech. She said, "I'd recognize that laugh anywhere. Hi, Jill!"

I just checked, Wolfchase Galleria is still there and open for business.
Still has a JCP and Sears, too. That seems to be part of the age-old
US shopping mall formula. FYI - Glamour Shots isn't there anymore. LOL

Jill