Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default vegetable garden started

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 23:46:19 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
> wrote in message
. ..

>>> Nope, we had a bad blizzard yesterday and all night, stopped now but
>>> due to start again tomorrow afternoon, so shovelling rather than
>>> digging is on most peoples minds - not mine of course as I am in a
>>> condo

>>We've been dealing with flooding in CA for the past month or so, what a
>>mess, roads crumbling, landslides, bridges unstable etc. They evacuated
>>some
>>towns due to problems with the Oroville Dam, but luckily it looks like
>>it's
>>under control. Where I am, not much of a problem with the rivers etc. but
>>some in close by areas are hard hit. My only problem was loss of the
>>internet for a couple of days.
>>
>>I saw the people shoveling the snow in the Sierras for days on end and I
>>would not want to deal with that either, but when it's all said and done,
>>think the drought is over for now.
>>
>>Cheri

> They showed a heart wrenching kid evacuated from Oroville. She was
> about ten I would think and distraught because her mother had brought
> her to a safe place and then returned to stay with their cattle and
> make sure they were fed etc. She kept saying 'If the water comes my
> mother will die'
>
> Too much water is awful as it's not clean water that gets into the
> house and ruins everything. I would think rather like here when heavy
> rain falls on frozen ground, the rain falling in California will not
> be absorbed too readily by parched ground.
>
> Stay safe!

Actually, here, the ground is so saturated that it's not absorbing the rain
water anymore, but running off. Looking at more rain for the next few days,
but the storms are expected to be less than they were. One of the problems
earlier in January was warmer rain falling on the snow pack causing a lot of
run-off from higher in the Sierras and a lot of the infrastructure has not
been maintained and upgraded for decades.

Cheri