Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky[_2_] Sky[_2_] is offline

Default vegetable garden started

On 2/14/2017 7:04 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/14/2017 4:49 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system
>> set up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I
>> seeded are Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee
>> Purple. I also started parsley and basil. I wanted a rainbow of
>> tomato colors this year. I was limited to those plants that had
>> days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded back yard.
>> I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason, I just do
>> not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't include any
>> seeds for those. I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often
>> get plants that are old enough that they go to seed during
>> mid-season. So, I'll grow my own. Anyone else thinking yet about
>> gardening season and what to grow and eat?

> I got my first seeds in the mail today, as a matter of fact.
> Tomatoes, cukes, lettuce, beans and spinach. I hope I get to see
> pictures of all your different color tomatoes.
>
> I've never grown parsley from seed but I meant to, thanks for the
> reminder. I need a new light system, have a link to what you got?

I'm quite jealous (vbg!)! Hopefully, y'all will share stories, and
photos too, throughout the gardening season - it'd be really neat to
read and see the progress - at least I think so ;D

Alas, my thumbs are too brown to successfully grow practically anything,
even house plants (sigh). But then, I'm a lazy gardener since I follow
the "plant it and forget it" method! The property where I live is
mostly shaded for the entire day, so that does not help.

Past years, I tried to grow cucumbers and cantaloupes (etc.) with
unfinished, vertically-propped (lean-to style) 4' x 8' lattice sheets
tilted along the southern wall of the house. Nearly all always died
early on due to some sort of white, powdery stuff (mold, mildew, I
haven't a clue!).

OK, here's a funny ---> GD#1 (she's 6-years old, kindergarten) told me
just this very evening that she's "growing a plant" at school as a class
project. I asked her, "What sort of plant?" She responded, "A 'green'
plant!" As if I didn't know (LOL!). And I'm still grinning . . . .

Sky

Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!